Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Unnecessary Rudeness

"Holy cow- are you having twins???"
"Oh my, sweetie, your feet are so SWOLLEN!!!"
"You're only 7 months along...?"
"That's gonna be one big baby!"
"Oh it's just her hormones..."

What is it about pregnancy that allows people to completely forget their manners and any other social graces they may have been taught throughout their life?  I'm not sure if other pregnant ladies have found these comments complimenting, or if they've even experienced them.  Of course, the second that I protest or complain about any comment made regarding my appearance, my "attitude" is then chocked up to "hormones".  Really?  Ummmm, in case you failed to notice, I was a bit snarky before I was pregnant; Unless I'm trying to stab you in the eye with a spoon for sneezing in my direction or crying uncontrollably because you're wearing my favorite shade of purple, please don't blame my hormones- that's just a lame excuse.  If anything, I feel I've gained a better control over my temper (which has ALWAYS been on a short fuse) since being pregnant because nothing throws a pregnant lady into a hormonal rage quicker than wrongly accusing her hormones in the first place.  I've done my best to bite my tongue and not spew sarcastic/stabby/aggressive remarks in response to said comments, however I still have 2 more months to go.  I cannot be expected to behave much longer. 

And for the record, I'd like to put it out there that I have only gained 28 lbs so far throughout the pregnancy, which I understand is within the completely normal range.  Given this information, it makes me feel like that much more of a heiffer to have people constantly commenting about my weight.  Maybe I'm displaying it more prominently than the stardard pregnant lady, I don't know.  I have always been extremely self conscious about my weight though so additional commentary is really not necessary, nor is it welcome.

So am I alone in feeling that these comments are a little "over the line"?  When I've relayed the situation to a few friends, I've been brushed aside with "Oh it's no big deal," and "They didn't mean anything by it!".  Hmm.  Perhaps I am overreacting a bit.  (again- who, MEEEEE?)  From now on I will begin to respond with quirky responses and hopefully my retort will gain as much enjoyment as the original comment was intended to. 

Examples:
"Holy cow- are you having twins???" ------------------- "Nope.  It's a Volkswagon."

"Oh my, sweetie, your feet are so SWOLLEN!!!"------- "WOW, so are YOURS!  Must be the weather..."

"You're only 7 months along...?" ------------------------ "Yep!  Been rollin' around in fertilizer.  Goin'
for a Guiness Book record."

"That's gonna be one big baby!" ------------------------- "Baby?  I'm not pregnant..."

"Oh it's just her hormones..." ----------------------------- "Nah, I'm generally a bit of a b****."

Yeah, lets see what they think of my hormones now.... :)

3 comments:

  1. LOL! These seriously sound like things I want to say sooooo bad.

    I get the twins thing a lot because of how big I am, which thankfully, is due to having a short torso and being all belly. And no, none of the comments seem complimentary to me AT ALL. Have some of these women never been pregnant before?

    Now, since I'm about 39 weeks along, I get "You haven't had that baby yet?" or "Where's that baby?"...... Yah, I had the baby, I just retained all this extra weight on purpose. Where's the baby? Oh, the dingo ate my baby, didn't you hear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy. I'm baffled at how people think that just because we're pregnant, we're all the sudden ok with constant comments regarding our weight, shape, size, etc... I'm sorry- when did this info become of public concern???

    I got into a bit of a "tiff" with the husband a few Mondays ago regarding the food I was preparing that morning to take to work. Since I can't seem to eat a whole meal in one sitting, I end up eating 5 or 6 smaller portions throughout the day. I had made 3 PB&J sandwiches (cut in half so it looked like 6) and was pkging them up to put in my lunch box. He looked at them wide-eyed and said, "are you REALLY gonna eat all those???" I stared back at him, dumbfounded. Something inside my head snapped and as my vision went red and blurry, I shouted "I'M MAKING A PERSON!!! THAT'S TOUGH WORK, BUD!!! I MADE A SET OF LUNGS YESTERDAY WHILE YOU WERE WATCHING FOOTBALL!!!" Although I think he may have peed himself a little, he is now MUCH more understanding when it comes to my emotions and he hasn't said one word regarding my eating habits since. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eating smaller meals throughout the day is not just a good idea, but it is strongly recommended to our pregnant patients. It reduces discomfort and the incidence of heartburn. That stomach is compressed because of the fetal body parts pushing up on it. It is really not a good idea to eat 3 big meals. In any case, this way, your glucose levels are more even throughout the day. This is important because the baby gets first dibs on the glucose which can leave you feeling more exaggerated symptoms of hypoglycemia even when u are just a little bit hungry. Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete